Summer Car Care TipsJul 6th, 2020
It's common to ensure your vehicle is taken care of throughout harsh Canadian winters, but what about taking care of your car in the summer? Here are 5 summer car care tips to keep your Toyota running smoothly!
1. Keep tires inflated! According to Goodyear Tire, tires should be inflated to the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations printed on the vehicle door placecard or in the owner's manual, not the number on the tire. Goodyear estimates that nearly 7 in 10 people are driving around with underinflated tires.
2. Check tire tread. Tires with good tread help with safe driving! To see if your tires need to be replaced, try this coin test: take a Canadian quarter and insert it upside down along your tread. If you can see the Queen's crown, your treads are worn and you could use a new set of tires!
3. Top Off Fluids. Make sure that your fluids under the hood are all at optimal levels. According to engine experts, motor oil does more than just lubricate moving parts. It cools areas of the engine and provides protection over a wide temperature range. If you’ve got older motor oil, it may not do its job as well as it could.
4. Replace Wiper Blades. When was the last time you put new wiper blade inserts on your car? If it’s longer than six months, you might need new ones. After six months blades stop working as well and could affect your visibility while driving in the rain. Inserts are only $10 at our parts counter!
5. Plan for an Emergency! No one ever plans to get stuck on the side of the road, but emergencies do happen. We suggest keeping an emergency kit in your car, not only for summer road trips but also throughout the year. What should go in that kit? Jumper cables, a flashlight, paper towels, roadside flares, a first-aid kit, bottled water, car charger for cell phone, and even snacks, like granola bars, among other necessities you think you might need if you got stranded.